The July 11 Detroit Tonight Live show at UDetroit Café can be viewed by following the link below. My bit, including M.L. Liebler’s intro, begins at 1:14:16 but the entire program of music and poetry deserves a look and a listen.
Archive for July, 2012
Posted in Uncategorized, tagged Andrea Daniels, Christopher Hitchens, Critical Moment, Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, Downtown Boxing Gym, George Orwell, Huffington Post, James Carter, Johnnie Bassett, M.L. Liebler, Proud to Be from Detroit, RJ Spangler Trio, Steven Gulvezan, Terry Blackhawk, UDetroit Cafe, Vanity Fair, Zilka Joseph on July 11, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
While I usually aim to post more than just links to other sites, there are a few recent items out there I happily recommend:
- The Detroit News profiles blues guitarist Johnnie Bassett today. The article includes info on some of his upcoming appearances but fails to mention that he’s slated to sit in this evening (7 pm) at the M.L. Liebler-orchestrated Detroit Tonight Live event at the UDetroit Café (1427 Randolph Street) along with the RJ Spangler Trio. Andrea Daniels, Steven Gulvezan, Zilka Joseph and I will also read some poetry. Bassett’s latest record kicks off with “Proud to Be from Detroit,” which I look forward to hearing.
- This past weekend, The Free Press ran a long piece on saxophonist James Carter that also merits a look. Having seen Carter perform many times in various places over the years, I definitely consider myself a fan.
- Poet Terry Blackhawk has a moving piece on the power of poetry over at Huffpost Detroit.
- Vanity Fair spotlights two of my favorite writer via an excerpt from Christopher Hitchens’s introduction to George Orwell’s Diaries.
- Finally, my article on the Downtown Boxing Gym can be read in the summer issue of Critical Moment and on the paper’s website.
Posted in Events, Fighters & Writers, tagged Ada, Detroit, Fighters & Writers, Mongrel Empire Press, Oklahoma, Reading, Scarab Club, Scissortail Creative Writing Festival on July 4, 2012 | Leave a Comment »
Mongrel Empire Press, publisher of Fighters & Writers, posted a couple videos of me reading from the book on its YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/mongrelempirepress. One shows me at the Detroit’s Scarab Club earlier this year; the other is from the 2011 Scissortail Creative Writing Festival in Ada, Oklahoma.